From The Dirt e-newsletter, November 2014
A: A local food that is plentiful in autumn in Montana.
Q: What are apples?
Recently students at Flathead High School in Kalispell featured backyard apples along with eggs and flour from a small local farm, as well as other local delicacies at the Grand Opening of Growing a Better World Garden. Want to learn about their celebration that featured a homegrown game of Garden Jeopardy? Read more.
This recipe came from grouprecipes.com and was brought to life by the Flathead High School Culinary I, II, and III classes under the guidance of Maureen Fanion.
INGREDIENTS // YIELD – About 4 dozen cookies:
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 local eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened local applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups local flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Cream together shortening and sugars, add eggs, applesauce and vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients together, mix into batter.
- Add oatmeal and chocolate chips.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350º for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.