Welcome to the Montana Healthy Food and Communities Initiative site.
Our Montana Healthy Food and Communities Initiative (MHFCI) encompasses three projects that work together to bring healthy, local foods to people across the state: the FoodCorps program, the Farm to Cafeteria Network, and the Grow Montana Food Policy Coalition. Together, these projects work to combat childhood obesity, reduce childhood hunger, promote healthy, local foods in institutional cafeterias, and support vibrant local farms and ranches.
What We Do:
- Teach children about food and nutrition
- Help children learn about growing food - and dirty hands - by planting and harvesting food in school gardens
- Change what's served on school lunch trays by helping schools buy food from local producers
- Create market opportunities for farmers and ranchers that help grow rural economies
- Eliminate barriers so farmers and ranchers can sell to schools and other institutions
- Create and share educational resources for students, teachers, institutional food service staff, legislators, and local producers that promote healthy, local foods
- Combat childhood obesity and reduce hunger for low-income and disadvantaged families
Learn more and see how you can be part of the solution:Resources for Parents, Legislators, and Community Organizers
Resources for Educators and Institutional Staff
Resources for Food Service Professionals
Resources for Farmers, Ranchers, and Producers